2 sprigs parsley, stems removed
4 fresh basil leaves
1 cup flour
Oil, for frying
* Melt mozzarella in double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water. Pour it into large mixing bowl of an electric mixer and beat in 2 eggs. Add 1/4 cup bread crumbs, oregano, half the garlic, and salt and mix well.
* Press cheese mixture into 8-inch square glass dish. Cover and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
* Lightly beat remaining 4 eggs in bowl. Blend in vermouth. Set aside.
* In a processor or blender, process remaining bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil and remaining garlic. Set aside.
* Cut cheese mixture into 1 1/2-inch squares (about 15 pieces). Dip each into flour, then egg mixture, and finally into bread crumb mixture to coat evenly. Place on paper towels and refrigerate 30 minutes.
* Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees in heavy skillet or deep fryer. Fry cheese pieces, a few at a time, until evenly golden brown on both sides, 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Serve at once with Fresh Tomato Sauce.
6 servings. Each serving: 491 calories; 767 mg sodium; 185 mg cholesterol; 34 grams fat; 22 grams carbohydrates; 22 grams protein; 1.19 grams fiber.