Daily Top 10
Top 10 foods for grilling
Local fans grill at the Hampton-Phoebus football game Oct. 10. (Diane Cebula, Daily Press / October 10, 2008)
- The Daily Press Top 10 lists
Daily Top 10 poll
1. Steaks — When the gristle from a well-marbled choice cut Delmonico steak drips down onto the fire, the crackling flames jump up and the meat sizzles intensely. The thought alone is enough to make mouths water.
2. Hot dogs Keep in mind that we are in October. A staple of baseball games and Americana, hot dogs don't cost much and can be cooked in large numbers.
3. Ribs Sometimes, you have to get get your hands dirty. Baby back ribs give backyard chefs creative control when it comes to glazes and sauces.
4. Hamburgers It may be cheaper to go to McDonald's, but grilling burgers lets cooks decide the size, shape, and seasonings. Grass fed ground beef has a consistent taste and quality.
5. Fish Must be grilled with care. Make it an all-day event by catching some striper from the local waters, cleaning it yourself, and cutting out some hefty filets.
6. Chicken A versatile meat, grilled chicken can be eaten on the bone, boneless, or cut into strips over salad. Breastmeat filets from free range chickens are hardy and juicy.
7. Shrimp A tasty variety of grilled seafood, but cooks should make sure shrimp are big enough so as to not fall through the cooking grid. Skewers can keep the smaller shrimp from falling through, but jumbo shrimp are preferred.
8. Bratwurst We acknowledge that hot dogs can be boring at times. Sheboygan bratwurst has spicy varieties and is true to form.
9. Shish-ka-bobs Shish-ka-bobs have the most options. Cooks can combine beef, pork, chicken or shrimp (or all of them together) with various vegetables and potatoes. Green peppers and chunks of onions pair well with beef.
10. Corn on the cob No, its not all about meat. Compared to other grilled vegetables, corn on the cob is fun to eat and is a democratic choice for picky backyard guests.
Matt Cahill's Daily Top 10 comes out every weekday. Coming Friday: Top 10 bakery breads