Some say breakfast is important at the beginning of the day. Others say that breakfast can be eaten at any time and just tastes good. However you take it, our crack research panel at the Daily Top 10 ranked the best morning meals. Feel free to disagree and weigh in with your own choices in our comments section.
1. Scrambled eggs -- Highly versatile, scrambled eggs can be tailor-made with cheeses, veggies and meats. Scrambled eggs are easily turned into omelets, but their most prized form is the bacon and salsa-laden breakfast burrito.
2. Biscuits and gravy -- The foundation of a good day. Southern-style sausage gravy poured over a fresh biscuit is not just a filling meal but will hit you like a ton of bricks -- sometimes even hours later.
3. Bacon -- Talk about taste. Something about strips of bacon, crispy and shining with grease, has basically turned them from a side item into a condiment that enhances any dish. Maybe it's the smell, maybe it's that mesmerizing sizzling sound.
4. Cold pizza -- That's right. Leftover pizza, straight from the refrigerator, is a quick and handy breakfast to take on the go. As the pizza cools overnight, the sauce and cheese take on a different flavor, so it's not like you're eating the same thing you did last night. However, veggie pizzas don't keep very well. The best are simple one- or two-topping pizzas like pepperoni and sausage.
5. Doughnuts -- In a hurry? Eat with your hands. Krispy Kreme glazed and Dunkin' Donuts maple frosted are so good they can be served for dessert -- and probably more appropriate. Doughnuts are also a good way to make friends at work.
6. Pancakes -- Sometimes, a heavy dose of sugar is all it takes to get moving in the morning. Pancakes can be dressed up with sweet fruits and even chocolate. Once covered in maple syrup, enough pancakes can supply a day's worth of calories. Blueberries and bananas mixed in the batter make for an amazing taste.
7. Cereal -- So much to choose from! Cereal can make a very healthy breakfast, as well as a tooth-rotting sugar rush. Still, even those eating the healthier varieties sometimes succumb to the tempting taste of sprinkled sugar. You can skip this step by buying something like Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Cookie Crisp.
8. Oatmeal -- An old favorite. Warm oatmeal is easy to eat when you're under the weather. Not as boring as one might think, oatmeal is easily spruced up with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup to add taste. What's even easier is the Quaker instant oatmeal that includes those ingredients in powdered form.
9. Fresh fruit -- Breakfast is not all about bread and meat. Fresh fruit in the morning is easy to digest and is an efficient source of raw energy for the day. If the water-based fruits are not filling enough, go with bananas. Besides, you can always cut the fruit up and add it to your other favorite breakfasts.
10. Bagels -- The thickest, heaviest form of breakfast toast. A plain bagel with cream cheese, as simple as that sounds, is a wonderful and satisfying breakfast. Flavored bagels and cream cheeses can spice this idea up a bit. If your sweet tooth has other demands, a cinnamon bagel with butter and sprinkled sugar might fill the need.
Matt Cahill's Daily Top 10 comes out every weekday. Coming Thursday: Top 10 scary movies.
Daily Top 10
Top 10 breakfast foods
- The Daily Press Top 10 lists
Daily Top 10 poll